Monday, November 1, 2010

Roast Beef with Cabbage, Squash, and Carrots by Melissa

People always ask me where I get my recipes from to cook Primal/Paleo.  Besides, using recipes from The Primal Blueprint Cookbook by Mark Sisson and The Gluten Free Almond Flour Cookbook from Elana's Pantry, I usually use regular 'ole recipes and tweak them a little to become Primal-friendly.

This recipe came from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food Magazine and hardly needed any tweaking.  I could not find the actual picture and because I was in such a hurry to eat it when it was finished, I didn't get a chance to take one with my camera.

Ingredients:
-2 lbs boneless top loin roast beef
- sea salt and ground pepper
-1 medium butternut squash; peeled, halved, and sliced 1/2 inch thick
-3 medium carrots or how ever many baby carrots you want
-1 small head red cabbage, cored and cut into 8 wedges
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 tsp. of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Steps:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
** This next step is not in the original recipe, but this what makes my mom's pot roast that much better than the average
2. Heat a pan on medium, meanwhile season beef with salt and pepper, pat one side with almond flour and place in pan.  Cook on one side for about 3 minutes; turn over, pat other side with almond flour and cook for 3 minutes.
3. Transfer beef to either a crock pot of oven safe roasting pan.
4.  in a large bowl toss cabbage, squash, carrots, and thyme with olive oil, sea salt, and pepper.
5. Scatter vegetables around beef in the pan

Roast until squash is tender when pierced with a knife and beef is medium rare - about 40 minutes.

I made this dish without the cabbage and substituted the butternut squash with sweet potatoes since the squash at the grocery store was abnormally huge and expensive.

Side note: If cooking this recipe in a crock pot you can leave it cooking for about 2 hours on medium OR I left mine in the oven at 325 degrees while I sat in traffic, coached the FREE CrossFit Central Endurance workout, and sat in traffic home (about 2 hours) and it was the perfect tenderness!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. One very important edit I forgot...if you are going to cook it for 2 hours you must add water so the roast doesn't dry out

    ReplyDelete