- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried or 2 Tb fresh oregano
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 lb lean ground turkey
- 8 oz uncooked or cooked smoked chorizo sausage, finely chopped
- 2 Tb olive oil
- 1 Cup Smoky Tomato Sauce (see below)
2. In a very large bowl mix together the eggs, almond flour, chopped cilantro, garlic, oregano, 1 1/2 tsp of the chili powder, the salt, and cumin. Add the ground turkey and chorizo sausage; mix well. With damp hands or a small ice cream scoop, form into 24 to 30, 1 3/4-2 inch meatballs (about 3-4 Tb).
3. Combine oil and remaining 1/2 tsp chili powder; brush over meatballs.
4. Bake meatballs 22 to 25 minutes or until cooked through (165 degrees on meat thermometer). With a slotted spoon, remove meatballs to a large serving bowl; gently toss with the Smoky Tomato Sauce. Top with cilantro leaves.
Makes 12-15 (2-meatball) servings.
Smoky Tomato Sauce
2 Tb Olive Oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
8 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tsp dried or 2 Tb chopped fresh basil
2 tsp dried or 2 Tb chopped fresh oregano
2 28-oz cans crushed tomatoes
1/3 cup tomato paste
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika or paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, basil and oregano; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
2. Gently toss about a cup of the warm sauce with each batch of the Mexican Meatballs; pass remaining sauce. Makes 7 cups.