Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Coconut Shrimp- Coach Alex

I am doing Coach Crystal Nelson's 21 Day Food Challenge and this is a recipe she suggested and I am glad she did.  I didn't have much time and didn't know what to cook.  While looking through the pantry I realized I had coconut flakes, Coconut oil, raw shrimp with tails and eggs.... Guess what... I can make COCONUT SHRIMP.  It was simple and quick.


Ingredients:
1 lb large shrimp, tail on peeled and deveined
1/3 cup coconut flour- I did it without because it was not on my challenge list and it worked fine.  I imagine it would stick a little better with the flour.
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 eggs 
2 cups coconut flakes -make sure to get these from bulk or organic no added ingredients (ehh hmm sugar)
1tbsp coconut oil
In a mixing bowl, stir together the coconut flour, salt, and cayenne pepper. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy.  In another bowl, pour the coconut flakes.  Taking one shrimp at a time, dry well with a paper towel and dredge each shrimp in the coconut flour mixture, dip into the egg whites and then roll into the coconut flakes.  Place in pan greased (with coconut oil) fry for about 10 minutes or until the shrimp are pink and the coconut flakes start to brown.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment