I tried a very Non-Paleo dish at Austin's own The Steeping Room that was Gravlax and Latkes. Absolutely delicious!! I started to think about how I could make this into a healthy version. This is my plan for this weekend and I thought I would share it with all of you first.
The Gravlax and Latkes dish at The Steeping Room was Fried Latkes (potatoes basically) topped with a dollop of sour cream which was topped with tea cured salmon and, finally, topped with a berry concoction. It was truly delightful with a little bit of crunch, saltiness, creaminess, and sweetness. However, I think this version could be KILLER!
Butternut Squash Latkes Topped with Smoked Salmon and Unsweetened Applesauce
Latkes (From Elana's Pantry)
4 cups butternut squash, peeled and grated
1 small onion, peeled and grated
3 eggs, whisked
grapeseed oil, for frying
- In a large bowl make latke batter by mixing together squash, onion and eggs
- Use your hands to form batter into 3 inch patties
- In a large skillet, heat oil
- Fry patties on each side over medium heat until golden brown and crispy
- Remove latkes from pan and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain excess oil
- Repeat Steps 2-4 until batter is used up
Finish by topping with a small slice of smoked salmon, or if you can find it or make it, tea cured salmon.
Add a small spoonful of unsweetened applesauce. I think you could also do a berry mixture if you heated up raspberries and blackberries together and served on top.
It is a beautiful and tasty dish! Sure to impress!